I am all about empowering women to be unstoppable and live to their potential both physically and mentally. I’ve been coaching women for many years to unleash their inner athlete and to take down the barriers that prevent them from exercising.
This year I have been training for triathlons. The training can be intense so I don’t have time for barriers that slow me down, especially my period. While coaching hundreds of women, I hadn’t realized that for many of them, having their period can put a pause on training and their life. I know for myself, I am more tired and emotional during my cycle and things seem more challenging but then there’s the whole logistics of it.
On a particularly challenging day, a friend told me about the DivaCup.
At first, I wasn’t sure if I liked the idea, it seemed kind of weird and kind of gross, to be frank. Regular tampons had their challenges and pads were a no go for me. I had also been thinking about the environmental affects of tampons and pads, having read somewhere that the average woman uses 11,000 tampons in her life, what?! I thought about how many women are out there and how many tampons end up in the landfill. So, the DivaCup was something worth trying to alleviate my concerns across the board.
I found it difficult to use at first but after a few times I saw what everyone was talking about. It was like nothing was there and I didn’t have to think about it all day. Magic!
The DivaCup literally changed my training experience as an athlete and took down some barriers that I hadn’t even recognized were there until switching over from tampons.
1. My workouts are rigorous, in the pool, on the bike and running hard. The DivaCup feels more secure than tampons and I can keep going with ANY activity and not feel like I’m going to leak or blow a tampon out, TMI?
2. The DivaCup holds more fluid and can be worn for up to 12 hours so during events or long-distance rides I don’t need to worry about finding a bathroom every few hours.
3. The DivaCup checks off my concerns about the environment because it’s environmentally friendly!
4. Triathlon is a very expensive sport so I love that I save a ton of money by using a reusable cup. A DivaCup lasts up to a year vs boxes of tampons per month.
5. Sleep is extremely important to me during training season. I don’t need the stress of my tampon not making it through 8 hours of the night. My DivaCup never lets me down.
6. The gear I need for my races is crazy, so much stuff! I don’t need to worry about lugging around extra tampons.
7. I no longer have to plan my activities or race events around my period and that makes my race calendar limitless.
These points may seem insignificant to some, but they’ve truly changed my experience as an athlete.
I’ve dedicated my career to helping women take down barriers and find fitness and sports more approachable. The DivaCup truly helps women do that. If you are willing to try something new, and give it a few tries (I didn’t love it at first) this could change your fitness experience and your life in general – it did for me.
Here’s how it works:
For more information and to find out where you can purchase the DivaCup, click here.